Lab Manager and Scientist
The Laboratory for Biological Engineering (Prof. Randall J Platt) of the ETH Zurich develops genome engineering technologies and applies them to a range of fundamental and disease-focused areas (www.platt.ethz.ch) and to advance these efforts we are seeking a full-time Laboratory Manager and Scientist with expertise in molecular and cellular biology, functional genomics, and mouse models. While the position is initially temporary, the transition to permanent staff is expected.
The D-BSSE (www.bsse.ethz.ch) is a highly interdisciplinary department centrally located within a biomedical research hub in Basel, Switzerland with close links to top academic institutions (e.g., Friedrich Miescher Institute (FMI), Biozentrum and University of Basel) as well as major biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies (e.g., Novartis, Roche, Bayer, and Lonza). Basel is an international city on the border with France and Germany – nested between the Swiss Alps and the Black Forest. The city provides easy access to arts and culture, nature and adventure, and short commutes via train/plain/automobile to anywhere in Europe.
We are looking for a highly collaborative and organized experimental scientist to join a multidisciplinary team of researchers. The candidate will work closely with the PI in running and managing the laboratory (~75%) as well as actively being involved in science (~25%). Lab management dutiesinclude: managing the team’s laboratory processes (e.g., lab meetings, jobs, and retreats), maintaining and developing the lab infrastructure, writing and maintaining (animal, stem cell, biosafety, etc) licenses and serving as the lead officer when applicable, and working closely with the PI in mentoring students and managing their scientific projects. Scientific dutiesinclude: devising, performing, and troubleshooting experiments as well as establishing technical procedures and protocols. Many other duties/opportunities are also available, but not strictly required, including: running independent scientific projects; mentoring students; contributing to teaching; attending conferences; attending formal training courses in laboratory, scientific, and management; visiting other laboratories to learn scientific techniques; and writing and reviewing manuscripts and grants.
- PhD or equivalent plus an additional 2 years or more of experience as an experimental scientist with expertise in molecular and cellular biology, functional genomics, and mouse models.
- The ideal candidate would possess the following skills:
- standard molecular biology techniques (PCR, RT-qPCR, DNA/RNA electrophoresis, SDS-PAGE and Western blots, etc);
- design and cloning of expression vectors for applications in mammalian and bacterial (at least E. coli) cells;
- mammalian cell culture;
- microbiological culture (at least E. coli and beyond the context of molecular cloning);
- mouse handling;
- mouse survival surgery;
- mouse primary cell/tissue preparations;
- immunostaining and histopathology;
- light microscopy;
- deep sequencing library preparation and analysis (while strong familiarity with analysis pipelines is essential, deep expertise in coding and bioinformatics is not);
- DNA-encoded library (e.g., CRISPR guide RNA, shRNA, mutagenesis, cell/lineage barcoding, etc) design, cloning, utilization, sequencing, and analysis (while strong familiarity with analysis pipelines is essential, deep expertise in coding and bioinformatics is not);
- viral vector (AAV and LV) production.
- Highly proficient in written and spoken English. Proficiency in written and spoken German is a major plus.
- Experience and interest in laboratory management and mentoring students.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to respectfully and productively manage and interact with all levels of staff and external contacts.
- Excellent scientific track-record, including multiple first author scientific publications (in English), multiple presentations at international conferences (in English), and (documented) contribution to grant/fellowship writing.
\nETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in
science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education,
cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge
into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our
university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an
environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe,
yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to
develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.
We look forward to receiving your application including, as a single PDF:
- Cover letter that contextualizes your CV, including: background, scientific interests, career aspirations, laboratory management experience, and why you are interested in the group
- CV (including publication list)
- Contact details of three referees
- List of top three publications, including citation information, abstract, and DOI
Please submit your applications online. Applications via email will not be considered. Questions about the position should be directed to Prof. Platt at email@example.com (no applications please).