Software Engineer (Generalist) to develop scientific software (f/m)
Our interdisciplinary research group develops and applies an advanced methodology to mine large volumes of molecular and clinical data to understand and model mechanisms of molecular processes, diseases, and treatments.
The primary responsibilities of the Software Engineer will be to
- work with graduate students and research personnel to develop scientific software (all open source, see https://github.com/ratschlab)
- work with project partners to develop and deploy clinically relevant software
- improve software engineering practices within the research group
- maintain software installations on a high performance computing cluster as well as web services and data resources in the lab
- A degree in Computer Science, Computational Biology, Medical Informatics, or a related field.
- Solid experience in software development, ideally in Python and C/C++.
- Experience in collaborative software development projects, for instance, in an industrial or open-source context.
- Experience in at least one of the following areas (with the willingness to learn more about the others): machine learning (including deep learning), databases, EHRs, computational genomics, and complex data engineering at scale.
- Excellent communication skills in English (written and verbal).
- You are au fait with the basics of open-source licensing.
You are a self-starter and are enthusiastic about working in a highly interdisciplinary environment with computer scientists, computational biologists, and medical doctors. You bring a strong interest in medicine and healthcare-related problems, and you like to work in a changing, project-driven environment.
ETH Zurich is a family-friendly employer with excellent working conditions. You can look forward to an exciting working environment, cultural diversity and attractive offers and benefits. The initial project period will be 2 years, with a 1 year contract and option to extend for another 1 year.Working, teaching and research at ETH Zurich
We value diversity
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website
to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application including the following documents:
- Motivation letter
- Education certificates as well as further certificates and diplomas (optional).
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
For further information, please contact Patricia Kilchhofer, administrative assistant to Prof. Dr. Gunnar Rätsch, email@example.com (no application documents), or visit our website.
For recruitment services, the GTC of ETH Zurich apply.
About ETH Zürich
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.